The purpose of the meeting rooms is to further the Pleasanton Public Library's mission to meet the informational, educational, cultural and recreational needs of the community. Primary use of the meeting rooms is for library programs. The library also encourages use by government agencies, community-based organizations and non-profit groups.
1.a. The meeting rooms are available for meetings of non-profit groups and community-based organizations whose purposes are civic, cultural, or educational. The meeting room may not be used for private events such as birthday parties.
b. Meetings must be open to the public; the library reserves the right to post public notice of any meeting.
c. Profit-making organizations or businesses may use the meeting rooms only for educational or non-commercial purposes.
d. No advertisement, circulation of petitions, or solicitation on behalf of a business or organization is allowed.
e. Sign-in or attendance registration lists may not be used for the purpose of commercial or political solicitation.
f. No fundraising programs may be held in the meeting room except for library or City-sponsored events such as the Friends of the Pleasanton Library book sale or Make A Difference Day.
g. Groups representing any point of view shall have equal opportunity to apply for meeting room use, provided all requirements are met.
2. Meeting rooms may not be used for meetings, programs or classes for which a fee is charged to the attendees except for City-sponsored activities.
3. Reservations may not be placed more than two calendar months prior to the meeting. Library related groups and activities have first priority and are not restricted by the calendar month rule
4. The applicant and his/her organization shall be responsible for any damage to equipment or property.
5. No storage of private property is permitted on Library grounds or facilities.
6. Activities for minors must be supervised by responsible adults with a ratio of one adult for every 20 minors.
7. Groups are responsible for setting up and putting away chairs and tables. The room is to be left in a clean and orderly condition (waste thrown away, etc.). The privilege of using the room may be withdrawn if it is not left in good condition.
8. Smoking is prohibited.
9. If a group wishes to use library owned TV/VCR or overhead projector, such equipment must be scheduled in advance and the person who will operate the equipment must be instructed in its use by a library staff member.
10. Each group must have a completed application on file approved by library staff. The application will include a brief description of the nature of the meeting and the name of the applicant as well as the person who will be responsible for cleanup, and, if the meeting continues after the library is closed, locking up the building. The person responsible for cleanup is also responsible for seeing that A/V equipment is left in good order and unplugged.
11. The applicant is responsible for the orderly conduct of people attending the meeting.
12. The name, address and telephone number of the Pleasanton Public Library may not be used as the official address or headquarters of any group using the meeting room.
The use of the room shall not be publicized in such a way as to imply library sponsorship of a group's activities.
13. Use of study rooms is limited to three (3) hours per day.
14. The applicant is responsible for abiding by these rules.
15. The use of the library meeting room(s) does not constitute an endorsement by the City of Pleasanton or the Library of any organization's policies or beliefs.
Approved by Library Commission February 14, 2002
Meeting Room Application (pdf)